NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

NCAM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutrition, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM) student group at UCLA is founded upon the belief that awareness and understanding of integrative medicine and health is essential to buildi

Welcome to NCAM forum! Smile When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

+2
Samantha Phung
Katherine Diep
6 posters

Idea for Workshop

Katherine Diep

Idea for Workshop Empty Idea for Workshop

Post by Katherine Diep Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 am

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope that it is relevant to do so here!

Have we had workshops where a representative from a university in an NCAM field comes and talks about what it takes to go to graduate school? If not, then I think it would be a good idea to do something like this. If we have already done it, then let's do it again if we have space next year!

It's just a thought. What do you all think? Smile
    Samantha Phung
    Samantha Phung
    Admin

Idea for Workshop Empty Re: Idea for Workshop

Post by Samantha Phung Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I think we had one before....But I think its good to have these once in a while for those who are interested in NCAM grad school!

Naturopathic Medicine Workshop

Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2012
    Time: 7-8pm
    Speaker: Dr. Holly Lucille

Come to speak with us once more is Dr. Holly Lucille, aka “Dr. Holly” is a nationally recognized licensed Naturopathic Physician, author and educator. She graduated from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine where she received the prestigious “Daphne Blayden Award” for her “Commitment to Naturopathic Medicine, academic excellence, compassion, perseverance, a loving sense of humor and a positive, supportive outlook”.
    She has had the incredible opportunity to do many things with her education. The biggest hat that she wears is that of a CONSUMER ADVOCATE. Whether it be as a practitioner, a consultant in the natural products industry, a prolific author of health care, or in any of the various media venues she appears, Dr. Holly strongly believes in empowerment to the people she serves.
    “I am in the business of empowerment. We live in a high information society but it is the understanding that I care about…I strive to put the dots really close together so people can connect them and own their own healthcare!”
    Erik Jue

Post by Erik Jue Wed May 09, 2012 12:06 am

I know we have before. Also, Lisa from Emperor's is interested in giving a presentation about their acupuncture program.
    Vivian Lam
    Vivian Lam

Post by Vivian Lam Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 am

And also, since we had a speaker come from, I think... it was... , well I don't remember but it was an ND school, and Josephine said that she was excellentttt. I feel like if some of us were at the meeting, because we have so many of their pamphlets and information, if we can't get the speaker (because they're out of state) we can give a presentation on what we know about the school? I know this would not be the best option, but if we had enough interest, it should be better than nothing? thoughts?
    aida siyahian

Post by aida siyahian Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm not sure if i'm posting it in the right place, and to be frank i've never been part of a forum so this is my first forum comment! (yippieee)

but as a suggestion, I thought of this yesterday...we always focus on integrative medicine and such, but i was wondering would it be possible (maybe its too late for the quarter, but perhaps for next year) to bring in an alternative/integrative dentist? I think that'll give a new perspective to the club also because i'm pretty sure when we say medicine, we're referring to whole body and we gotta include our teeth too! Smile

Just a thought!
    Vivian Lam
    Vivian Lam

Post by Vivian Lam Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 pm

MAHA! perfect timing! Smile I am actually planning to interview someone who is working on integrative dentistry research! So yes! somewhere along the line we shall have a speaker! Very Happy and if worse comes to worse, we'll have a video
    Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

Post by Vivianne Chang Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:19 am

Can we move this post to SIHM? I think that would be a good project for us, mapping out what are the different pathways to holistic healthcare and where people can go with those careers. We could maybe link our workshops to information online/pamphlets, etc. which would guide people in the right direction if they are interested in pursuing a similar career to that of our workshop presenter.

As students we aren't given AS MUCH direction in healthcare careers other than medicine, making it feel like it's MD or bust...Perhaps we could make an "Integrative and Holistic Health Resource Desk?"

You might want to check this out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Opportunities-Holistic-Health-Care-Careers/dp/0844218464

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 am