NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

NCAM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutrition, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM) student group at UCLA is founded upon the belief that awareness and understanding of integrative medicine and health is essential to buildi

Welcome to NCAM forum! Smile When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

+3
Josephine Nguyen
Vivian Lam
Vivianne Chang
7 posters

SIM/SIMH name

Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

SIM/SIMH name Empty SIM/SIMH name

Post by Vivianne Chang Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 am

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the name SIMH? I sort of wanted to revisit the topic because it still doesnt seem clear with the name SIMH whether we want to collaborate with other UCs - Berkeley and UCI already have SIM, so do we want to just join/copy them? If we name ourselves SIM would this mean there would be a standardization between us and the other UCs? Note -Even though there are other "SIM"s out there, there's really only 2 other UCs out of 10 with this name, and it's not a national organization with chapters.

With SIMH I also kept thinking that the word "health" seems to be disconnected with "integrative", I'm not sure to an onlooker if it implies Integrative Medicine and just Health, or Integrative Medicine and Integrative Health.

I don't know, what do you guys think? :/

Students for Integrative Medicine (SIM) at UCLA

Students for Integrative Medicine and Health (SIMH) at UCLA

Integrative Medicine Student Association (IMSA) at UCLA -> I like this one bc it has a good ring to it (could be pronounced im-sa or IM Student Association), and would mirror the David Geffen med student group, IMSIG

Student Association for Integrative Medicine (SAIM) at UCLA -> rearranged

Nutrition and Integrative Medicine Student Association (NIMSA) at UCLA -> Sandi mentioned the Nutrition aspect is what draws in a lot of students that arent premed per se, so we may want to keep nutrition in there. However, nim-sa doesn't sound that good in my opinion..:/

Student Association for Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (SANIM) at UCLA -> rearranged

Bruins for Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (BNIM)-> I like this one for the simplicity and inclusion of both nutrition and IM. however not so sure about the sound of "B-NIM," I kind of like when you can pronounce IM as I.M.

Bruin Integrative Medicine Association (BIMA)

Undergraduate Association for Integrative Medicine (UAIM) at UCLA -> you aim for IM?
    Vivian Lam
    Vivian Lam

SIM/SIMH name Empty Re: SIM/SIMH name

Post by Vivian Lam Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I also was concerned about the point that if we keep it just IM we might be putting too much focus on people who are looking for health-related careers. So I guess we'd want to think about whether or not we'd be ok with that, or if we want to keep it open as a club for wellness in general. If this be the case, which I'm sort of leaning towards, I feel like we might want some sort of inclusive word attached.

With that said... Is there a way to incorporate Wellness as opposed to just nutrition? in some of those options?
    Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

Post by Vivianne Chang Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Hmmm...if we put a focus on IM in the title, how about including a tagline that explains more what we are about? maybe something like, "Promoting nutrition, wellness, and integrative medicine" we will bring in both students that are looking toward health-related careers to direct them to IM, and also other students that are going into different careers so that they can improve their own health and support wellness in their future endeavors (whatever it may be)
    Vivian Lam
    Vivian Lam

Post by Vivian Lam Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 pm

ooh I do like the tag line idea. So I guess with that. I'd put my vote on making it SIM to match the other schools. But a part of me still feels like I want to research them a little more and see if we can... invite them to the conference in later years? Or do some sort of collaboration on at least one event?

IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME if we had the schools take turns hosting the event!!!
    Josephine Nguyen

Post by Josephine Nguyen Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I like SIM for its expansive potential, but I agree that we should do some research first. Since both UCB and UCI have the same name, do they work closely and attempt to conform to each other/have standards for each other?

I like IMSA because I like how it sounds, both the acronym and full name.

I do NOT like anything with "Bruin" in it because if we ever wanted to expand in the future that would require another name change.

I like UAIM because we could pronounce it "U-Aim". However, the drawback is the limitation of the word "undergraduate" and we occasionally have interested graduate students.

I love the idea of the tagline.

**I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that this is not too pressing of a discussion, but we should decide by mid Winter quarter when I have to register the new group.
    Erica Kumala

Post by Erica Kumala Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am

I think I agree with Vivian's first comment that if we just have IM in the name it might limit the scope of members that join our club, especially since many freshman/undergrads might not know what IM is yet since it's not a common concept out there.

But, I think the tagline idea might help with that, and looking at the websites for UCI and UCB I think I like the SIM name because I feel like both of those schools encapsulate kind of what we are doing right now in NCAM-trying to foster IM and also other therapies such as yoga, tai chi, etc. And I think having other schools to possibly work together with in the future would be great!
    Katherine Diep

Post by Katherine Diep Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:48 pm

I like SIM because it may encourage cross-campus communication about spreading wellness and awareness of IM. Plus, if we have the same name, students from UCI and UCB who are in SIM that have friends at UCLA that may be interested might point them in our direction!

I also like the tagline idea. It would give everybody the gist of what we stand for.

I agree with Vivian: it would be awesome if other UCs took turns hosting IM conferences. Our community would get so much larger!
    Wendy

Post by Wendy Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Do we do the same things as the other UC SIMs? If so, I think SIM would be good for collaboration purposes, but we may have to contact them before the name change to avoid stepping on toes.

If we do different things, committee-wise, I think SIMH is better so we can remain more independent, and yet still connect with the other groups through our ideas.

I've always considered groups with the same name at different universities to do the same thing, but I don't know how independent or dependent/collaborative we want to be.
    Samantha Phung
    Samantha Phung
    Admin

Post by Samantha Phung Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I like IMSA and NIMSA, those are the catchiest and easiest to remember. Simplicity is nice!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm