NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NCAM

Welcome to NCAM forum! When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

NCAM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutrition, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM) student group at UCLA is founded upon the belief that awareness and understanding of integrative medicine and health is essential to buildi

Welcome to NCAM forum! Smile When registering, please use your full name as your username, to better get to know each other. Have fun and keep healthy!

3 posters

IM Discussion

Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

IM Discussion Empty IM Discussion

Post by Vivianne Chang Wed May 16, 2012 2:52 am

I think it would really help if as a committee we could formulate what would be our ideal model for an integrative system of medicine so students can picture what it would be like to go into integrative medicine, whether they are going to become an MD, DO, NP, RN, ND, physical therapist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, etc. I think what students lack is a clear image of where they can go with each of these paths but still go the "IM" route. I don't even have a clear picture myself of what that would be, maybe it could be a good topic of discussion?

Some things to consider...
    - structure of the health care model
    - how professionals could potentially work together and learn from each other in the best interest of patients
    - tenants that unite all IM practitioners (evidence based treatment, empathy/compassion, whole person approach, etc.)
    Katherine Diep

IM Discussion Empty Re: IM Discussion

Post by Katherine Diep Wed May 16, 2012 5:36 pm

I think this is a good idea, Vivianne. Maybe we can pursue this by hosting a workshop on the practice of medicine in the past, present, and future.

We can present instances of individuals engaging in medicinal practices throughout history, going from ancient times (Ayurvedic, Chinese, etc.) to the present. As we move on through history, we can highlight the changes that have been made in the world of medicine, pointing out holistic/integrative approaches that have been applied along the way. Through a discussion of the evolution of medicine, we can decide whether these changes have been for the better or worse. Hopefully at the end, we would be able to formulate an idea of how we believe medicine should develop in the future.

Just a suggestion as to how to get this idea rolling Smile
    Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

Post by Vivianne Chang Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I think that is an awesome idea and prehealth students could reaaally benefit from it. Seriously, how many of us really know what we're getting into? We can for sure talk about it more at dinner! Smile
    Katherine Diep

Post by Katherine Diep Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Another idea: we could host something for IM research. I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but maybe we could try to host a research symposium of faculty members performing IM related research? Like we could contact the professors that used to be in the RIHM handbook and ask to see if they or their grad students will be interested in sharing what they have discovered with us.
    Vivian Lam
    Vivian Lam

Post by Vivian Lam Thu May 17, 2012 2:26 pm

For the developing what this 'change is' I agree that I am a little confused myself. I think Dr. Hirani's talk really helped me think about what this is though it seems that:

1. being an integrative MD means you need to learn a lot more about the body than what is just in the Med school curriculum.
    2. It also seems like to be an IM MD, we would need more time. (this... I have absolutely no idea how to come up with.)
    3. It seems really expensive.

So... I got all sad, but then Vivianne made it ok by asking about whether or not Dr. Hirani thought it might be possible to change the system so that more people can benefit. I'm glad that she thought there was a chance and that it would happen eventually.

I guess, what this long rambling means is:

Do you think we could maybe set up a meeting with Dr. Hirani, and maybe someone from the med school (I was thinking a med student leader of the ncam group for med students) and maybe a professor for the med school to sort of discuss what it is we can do as undergrads/med students to get there?

Because right now... i'm getting hopeless vibes, which are usually excellent for spurring me into action. but... I have no direction. I guess that's what the interviews have briefly touched upon, but... maybe!

OOOH maybe the panel can be not only about what it is to be an IM doctor but also... the steps needed to make functional/integrative medicine more available for everyone?
    Vivianne Chang
    Vivianne Chang

Post by Vivianne Chang Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Yeah, that was really a concern of mine because the whole point of Integrative and Holistic Medicine was to be better for the patient in terms of care AND cost effectiveness & to bring more affordable and evidence-based treatments to patients, not to create any kind of elitist practice that only the rich can afford Sad

However I think we can start with baby steps, like shaping the mindset of people going into healthcare...I feel like a large part of what we want to do is get people thinking about what is prescribed to patients (ie: is it necessary to give them drugs? is it necessary to do surgery?) and as Dr. Hirani said, actually taking time to listen and think about what's affecting the whole person. Sometimes it's not a huge emergency, but the health professionals weren't attentive enough to see that the problem was simpler than they thought, like the woman who ran out of thyroid meds. perhaps one day the infrastructure of the healthcare system will be such that everyone can have access to preventative technologies, but right now it doesn't seem like its economically feasible :/ I really like the idea of talking to med students and maybe a professor...that might be a way to get at the problem..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am